Chicken Taco Salad is easy to make and will come together in under 30 minutes when using rotisserie chicken! There’s no better dinner for busy weeknights. Not to mention, more delicious!
Chicken Taco Salad is a staple in our house! These salads are so addicting and are packed with nutrients and protein!
Tender chicken, sweet corn, spicy jalapenos, all mixed with crunchy romaine lettuce – the flavors are phenomenal and the spices can’t be beat!
Chicken Taco Salad leaves you ALWAYS wanting more. I bet after trying this dish you will likely end up making them weekly. BUTTT, these salads are one of the healthier dinners to have! Romaine lettuce filled with protein, peppers, chicken, and so much more!
We crave Mexican food pretty frequently so these salads came about when we were on a health kick and didn’t want the carbs and calories that come with burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, etc.
Our end result left us with all the Mexican ingredients but in a salad form. A deconstructed quesadilla if you will 🙂
I advise getting a rotisserie chicken if it’s a weeknight as that will save you at least a half hour of cooking chicken.
Start by pulling the rotisserie chicken apart creating small chicken pieces.
Slice pepper and onion and then sauté the two in a little olive oil. Let sauté about 10 minutes or until they have a nice brown edging.
Heat up turkey chili in small pot and let sit on medium low heat while preparing other ingredients. The chili just needs to warmed up for the salad.
Add corn to another small pot and let warm. Once warmed, drain corn before adding to salad.
The beauty of this salad is that you get to pick and choose how much of each ingredient you want. Maybe you want more lettuce, go for it!
Or maybe you’re like me and love the turkey chili and rotisserie chicken, hey have at it! No judgement here.
Either way, once the ingredients are warmed start loading your bowl with your desired amount of lettuce.
Add in corn, chicken, turkey chili, sautéed peppers and onions, and drizzle with Ortega taco sauce.
We like to add a dollop (or maybe several) of Greek yogurt as you can see 🙂 but if you’d rather sour cream, feel free to use that instead!
I am a guacamole LOVER so I have recently starting adding a tbls to my salad – SO delicious and it gives the salad an added creaminess and avocado flavor #yum
Ty likes to sprinkle a couple jalapeno pieces over his salad for a bonus kick! Jarred jalapenos are a tadddd too spicy for me!
- Romaine lettuce
- Half green pepper, sliced and sautéed
- Half onion, sliced and sautéed
- 1 ½ medium chicken breasts – we use rotisserie chicken to reduce dinner time
- 2 tbls canned corn
- Ortega Medium Taco Sauce, sprinkle over top about 2 tbls
- Turkey chili – about ⅓ cup per salad, warmed
- Greek yogurt – 1 tbls, dollup on top
- Guacamole, optional, 2 tbls
- Jalapenos, sprinkled to desired taste
- Pull rotisserie chicken apart creating small chicken pieces.
- Slice pepper and onion and then sauté the two in a little olive oil. Let sauté about 10 minutes or until they have a nice brown edging.
- Heat up turkey chili in small pot and let sit on medium low heat while preparing other ingredients. The chili just needs to warmed up for the salad.
- Heat up corn in another pot. Once warmed, drain before adding to salad.
- Once ingredients are warmed start loading your bowl with desired amount of lettuce.
- Add in corn, chicken, turkey chili, sautéed peppers and onions, and drizzle with Ortega taco sauce.
- Add dollop of Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and guacamole. Sprinkle jalapenos (if desired) and cheddar cheese.
What other ingredients did you add to your Chicken Taco Salad? I would love to hear what you thought and if you changed anything! Feel free to leave a comment or email me.
Don’t forget to subscribe to hear of the easiest recipes and BEST local restaurants!
Ephesians 4:32: Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.